среда, 28 марта 2018 г.

DIY No-Sew Door Muff

DIY No-Sew Door Muff

Hello there! It’s Melissa from I Still Love You. I’m thrilled to be contributing on Make & Takes for the home! We just purchased our first home this summer, and we couldn’t be more thrilled to make it our own. You can see my progress in the column: The Zero Budget Project. I’m trying to make the house ours with as little as possible. It’s been fun, rewarding, stressful and tiring all at the same time!


I have two kids: Penelope and Felix. They share a room. It’s a great situation for the most part, but Penelope has a horrible habit of slamming the bedroom door when Felix is mid-nap. This happened two Sundays ago, which resulted in Felix completely breaking his crib. I know. One of my readers suggested that I make a door muff. If you’re in a similar situation you’re probably thinking Such a thing exists? How did I not know this?!


DIY No Sew Door Muff via makeandtakes.com

After a quick search on Pinterest, I found an easy sew version with ribbons. It’s cute, but maybe a bit too advance for non-sewists? I like to sew, but I also like to create items for the home that don’t require any sewing. So the wheels started turning. Inspired by the sewn muff tutorial and the fashionable La Pochette clutch, I made one with items I had on-hand in under 10 minutes. You can make yours lickety split and without sewing, either! Read more for the tutorial.


No-Sew Door Muffler


DIY No Sew Door Muff Supplies via makeandtakes.com

Supplies for DIY Door Muff:


  • leather
  • 16″ 1/2 inch elastic
  • hammer
  • hole punch
  • corner rounder
  • scissors

I used 3 ounce veggie tan hide. You can purchase the same thing at Tandy Leather (if you have one close by, they sell scraps by the pound!). You could use pretty much any kind of leather here, but I love the look of the raw hide. Susan sells scraps here. I also used 1/2 inch elastic, but you could use heavy elastic cording instead. The corner rounder is by no means required, It just added a nice look to it. In the printable template listed in supplies, I’ve included rounded corners.



You’ll want to print out the template. It has straight and rounded corners. To get a nice rounded edge on the top of my leather, I cut it out upside down.


Punch your holes. I had to double punch the holes for mine, because of the wide elastic.

Thread your elastic through the holes.


You can sew, staple or knot the elastic together. I used a zig-zag stitch, because it lays flat and looks clean.


The backside should look like this when done.

Loop it around both knobs and you’re done! I liked the leather because it sufficiently dampened the door, but I could still close it all the way. Now go and make!!


If you’re not the DIY-ing type, you can purchase fabric door muffs here and here.


This tutorial/freebie is free for personal use and should not be distributed/republished without the express consent of Make and Takes and Melissa Esplin. I love getting shout outs from around the web, but please, link with love. Do not copy this post, publish more than 2 photos or outright steal this idea for commercial publications. If you would like to use this tutorial for commercial purposes, please email me. Thanks!


Mother of a precocious little girl & cuddly baby boy dramatically shifted Melissa's focus. Some things, however, have remained the same: She absolutely loves being creative with graphic design, calligraphy, sewing, bookbinding, painting, decorating and anything that keeps her mind & hands busy. Through her blog, Melissa declares to all things creative that, “I Still Love You”.


Lemon Juice Mystery Messages via makeandtakes.com

Lemon Juice Science supplies

Coloring Paper With Lemon Juice

2. Let the lemon juice dry on the paper. It will dry clear.

Making Lemon Juice Secret Pictures

Original article and pictures take www.makeandtakes.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий