среда, 28 марта 2018 г.

kiddo photo memory game

kiddo photo memory game
IMG_6285

Today I'm sharing my last post in collaboration with Canon USA and their photo printers. I have loved working with them. The printers are great and these varied projects have been so fun to dream up and execute.


Since the beginning, I planned to make Ellerie a photo memory game with pictures of our family members. I scheduled it to be the last project, knowing that she'd be "older" then and hopefully more interested. It was sort of wishful thinking though. She's only 21 months so I had no idea if she'd "get it."


IMG_6310

Surprisingly (and so happily!) she LOVED it. She doesn't get the actual memory concept of flipping over two at a time to match yet, but she spent 20 minutes (about 48 hours in Toddler Standard Time) turning over the pieces, stacking them and pointing out who is who. It was so awesome for me to see (making stuff is fun...making stuff that people enjoy and use is the dream) and I expect we'll enjoy this game for awhile.


Here's how I made it...


IMG_6243
I gathered 10 photos. (me, Paul, both sets of grandparents, Aunt Kristen, Uncle Rob, Teddy and Coco, the beloved cat that lives with Paul's family.) I choose photos that had Ellerie in them. She's just a few days old in one and about 20 months in one.

IMG_6239

I cropped them into 3x3 squares using PSE and printed six at a time on 8.5x11 sheets of photo paper on my Canon PIXMA MG7520. Because it was going to be a memory game, I printed two of each photo so there were 20 photos in all.


IMG_6245
Using my paper cutter, I cut them down to size.

IMG_6269

IMG_6271
I really wanted each square to have some heft to it so I decided to mount them on balsa wood. I found some that was already cut into 3 inch strips (at Jo-ann's) and then used a razor blade to score each side. After a few swipes down each side, the balsa wood broke cleanly into 3x3 squares.

IMG_6276

I used PVA glue (book binding glue that doesn't warp) to mount the photos on the wood. On the backside, I glued polka dot scrapbook paper (that I cut down to 3x3 from 12x12 sheets).


IMG_6279
I stacked all the pieces in between books and let them dry for a few hours.

IMG_6295
And then we played! I set things up and called Ellerie over to take photos, thinking I would have to "art direct" my tiny hand-model a bit. But she was way into it. No direction from mama needed.

IMG_6287
I'm thrilled with how this turned out. The photos are colorful and fun. The balsa wood is sturdy. And the 3x3 size seems just perfect for her little hands.

IMG_6318
This post was brought to you by Canon USA. As always, project idea, words, opinions and photos are my own. Special thanks to my girl for the inspiration.

To see more projects from this collaboration :


Original article and pictures take eliseblaha.typepad.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий